Greenland Explorer: Valleys and Fjords
Greenland is Europe’s final frontier: its grandeur is unquestionable and yet unknown to most travellers. Sailing along Greenland’s coast is the best way to sample the rich history and diversity of this beautiful and dramatic country and to encounter an ancient culture surviving in a modern world.
- Meet locals on the western coast of Greenland and explore traditional Inuit settlements
- Visit the Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Explore historic places from Norse and Viking eras
- Spot arctic wildlife, such as whales, birds and seals
US$7,495 – triple
US$9,795 – twin, lower deck
US$10,795 – twin, main deck with porthole
US$11,795 – twin, main deck with window
US$12,995 – twin, superior
US$14,295 – twin, deluxe
US$15,795 – twin, suite
US$17,295 – twin, owner’s suite
Charter flight and transfer package (see Tour Notes): US$1,295
Prices are shown in US$, per person, and are “starting from” prices based on two people sharing a twin cabin or suite, three people sharing a triple cabin. Pricing is available on request for single occupancy of a cabin or suite.
Arrive in the Icelandic capital this morning and make your way to your included hotel. You will have the day to explore the city on your own. In the evening, join us at your hotel for a welcome briefing.
You’ll fly from Reykjavik to Akureyri to board your vessel and begin your expedition. Get ready for a great adventure ahead!
Experience a true arctic ghost town when we visit the abandoned settlement of Skjoldungen, where inhabitants were forced to move to larger, more accessible towns in 1961. The narrow part of Skjoldungen Fjord is an ideal place to explore by Zodiac.
Climbers and mountaineers around the world know Tasermiut Fjord, one of the world’s most prolific big-wall playgrounds. This part of Greenland is particularly dramatic, being nicknamed the Arctic Patagonia. A bit of a history lesson will be provided here as you learn about the settlements of the area, founded by Erik the Red.
Heading north, you’ll stop at some of the quaint villages that dot the islands and fjords of Greenland’s western side. You’ll find friendly faces, local artisans and colourful houses on the wildflower-covered tundra.
Today, you’ll board your direct charter flight back to Reykjavik, Iceland. Upon arrival in Reykjavik, we will transfer you to your hotel.
After breakfast, you can make your way home at your leisure or spend some more time in Reykjavik.
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled
- Photographic journal documenting the expedition
- Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
- Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin
- Comprehensive predeparture materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
- Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
- Mandatory transfer package
- International airfare
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Optional kayaking activities
- Arrival and departure transfers in Reykjavik
Curious about what 24 hours on an expedition cruise in Greenland would be like? Watch this video to find out!
2018 MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- One night’s hotel accommodation in Reykjavik with breakfast
- Transfer to the Reykjavik airport on Day 2
- Charter flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri
- Transfers to and from the ship
- Charter flight from Kangerlussuaq to Reykjavik
- Group transfer from Reykjavik airport to hotel
- One night’s post-expedition hotel accommodation in Reykjavik with breakfast
2018 Package Cost: $1,295
￼￼IMPORTANT REMINDER: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.